Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Beavers and shot guns, oh my.

It's one thirty in the morning and I can't sleep. I keep thinking about what happened this evening. Larry and I were on the party barge doing some sewing. Well, Larry was doing the sewing and I was keeping him company. It isn't really a barge either, because it doesn't go anywhere. Its more of a really nice floating room with open walls for nice views of the river.

Larry was sewing and I was reading when there was a sudden loud sound. I looked up and in walks a man with a very determined pace and a shot gun. He asked if we had heard any loud splashing sounds in the last few minutes. I said yes out in front of us. I wish I had said no. The man said he was looking for a beaver. So, of course I asked why? He said it was eating Sheila's willow tree that she planted. Sheila and her husband own the marina. He then went on to explain how willow trees are like candy to beavers and he had to get rid of it. Larry spoke to him briefly and he left.

A little while later he came back (without his gun) to introduce himself. I though he was going to start talking about the beaver and killing it again, so I cut him off and said I didn't care. I meant I didn't want to hear anymore about killing the beaver, but I didn't say it very well. I was inadvertently rude and he left without saying more.

A man comes out of no where at night with a shot gun, it put me ill at ease. Then he talks about killing an innocent animal. A marina was built in the animals natural habitat and then a tree that beavers love to eat was planted next to the water. You can't invade the beavers home and then lure them in with tasty treats and kill them. It seems unfair.

After he left, Larry asked me what I would do if a deer came all the time to eat my garden? I said we could put up a fence. He said deer can jump fences, then what would you do? I don't know what I would do. I just don't know.
Alison

3 comments:

  1. What happened to your 22? Donna and I have talked about doing what you guys are doing for a while now. Just maybe if she will ever stop going to school. Alison-Donna says hello and is so jealous. Enjoy the moments for that is the adventure.
    Donna and Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know either, but it seems like they are fighting a losing battle if "willow trees are like candy to beavers" then why even plant a willow tree? I would defend the beaver as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't blame you for sticking up for the beaver. Humans do some really dumb things when it comes nature. But yeah, I'd be on edge if some dude ran up to me with a shotgun and a mad look on his face.

    ReplyDelete

HI, I love to read comments from you if you have read my blog. Please feel free to comment even if you don't know me personally. Thanks!